Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Vampires in our midst

I heard a new term yesterday. Actually it's been around for a while but I only heard it yesterday for the first time. I never knew that it existed, but it sure explains a lot of things.

EMOTIONAL VAMPIRES

I'm not a lexicographer so I'm not going to attempt to launch into a long, verbose description about its actual meaning. I think the term in itself is pretty clear. It's basically referring to people who latch on to other people (like a parasite) and feed off their emotions, mainly because they're weak or so insecure that they need someone else to boost their own feelings, emotions or esteem.

I've often wondered why sometimes I feel so drained, or sometimes depressed, after spending time with certain people. It makes me feel less inclined to spend more time with them. I mean, of course there are some people we don't just get along well with, with difference in wavelengths or interests or even language fluencies, and we don't really like to hang around them. But this is different. My spirits feel lower than it had been before spending time with them.

I was talking with some friends last night and somehow the topic of conversation came to this. I suddenly understood what I've been going through with certain people. I guess these kinds of vampiric friends aren't quite good for the soul. I don't need people feeding off my emotions, especially when I need a picker-upper myself sometimes.

I don't think I'm an emotional vampire (so far I think I'm pretty self-sustaining) and I certainly hope I never become one. And I'm definitely going to be spending less time with these modern-time vampires. I'd rather you suck my blood than suck my soul.